Being prepared for your move is the best way to ensure everything goes smoothly.To get you started, here is what we recommend.|
6-8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start to inventory and evaluate your belongings, including items in your attic, basement, storage shed, etc. Is there anything you can donate or sell?
- Make arrangements for storage services.
- Begin using items in your house which you won't be able to move such as cleaning products and frozen food.
Make a list of people to notify of your move including friends, family, subscriptions, mail carriers,creditors, etc.
3-4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Notify utilities (cable, phone, electricity, etc.) of your service shutoff date.
- Arrange for insurance in your new location.
- Make travel arrangements for the day of your move. (Don't make plane reservations for the actual day of your move. Give yourself 1-2 days cushion to handle any unexpected events.)
- Purchase moving supplies including boxes.
- Begin packing any items that you will not need immediately.
- Have a garage sale for your unneeded items - or donate items to charity.
1-2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Make sure your car is in good working order if you plan to drive to your new location.
- Settle any outstanding bills with local merchants.
- Empty safety deposit boxes. Pick up dry cleaning. Drop off library books and video rentals.
- Take pets to the vet for immunization and to retrieve pets' health records.